Thursday, May 26, 2011

Super Fruit

As the weather starts to warm up, I start to crave refreshing treats. Ice cream, gelato and Popsicles are usually a must.   Since I have adopted a new healthier way of being, I have traded in my after dinner ice cream treat for a much healthier alternative: grapefruit.



It's tart, tangy, sour and sweet and has certainly been satisfying my after meal need for a sugary treat.  Grapefruit is jam-packed with health benefits and actually helps to curve hunger.  It's the perfect end to any meal or a great accompaniment to a balanced breakfast.

I am slightly ashamed to admit that I watch a lot of Dr. Oz.  He is an alarmist and scares the crap out of me by making claims that pretty much everything causes cancer. But, his show is like a train wreck- I just can't seem to look away or change the channel.  Like myself, Dr. Oz is a big fan of grapefruit.  Last week, he named grapefruit a superfood.  This prompted me to do some reading and here is what I found out:

Grapefruit is high in dietary fibre, vitamin C and potassium. It contains lucopene which is said to have anti-tumor activity and helps to fight oxygen free radicals, making this super fruit a great source of antioxidants. Grapefruit helps in lowering cholesterol, lowering the risk of kidney stones and helps protect against colon cancer.  And...it 's low in calories. 

I'm no expert, but the benefits of eating grapefruit seem to outweigh my alternative dessert choices.

I also read that grapefruit can interact negatively with certain medications, so ask your doctor if you are taking any prescription meds.

Not only is grapefruit a perfect dessert alternative, it is also a great addition to any summer salad. Try this refreshing salad recipe on a warm summer's day:

Grapefruit, Orange & Avocado Salad
serves 4

Ingredients:
  • romaine lettuce
  • 1 large grapefruit peeled & sliced
  • 1 large orange peeled & sliced
  • 1 avocado, sliced
  • feta cheese
Directions:
Place lettuce on four salad plates.  Arrange slices of fruit in alternating layers on top of the lettuce. Squeeze grapefruit and orange juice over top.  Top with some crumbled feta cheese and zest from both citrus fruits.

No comments:

Post a Comment