Thursday, May 19, 2011

Stinky Spice

No, I am not talking about one of the Spice Girls.  I am referring to cumin- oh how I love/loathe thee.

For the past six months or so, I have been cooking a lot of Mexican and Indian food.  This means that cumin has become a staple in my pantry.  This also means that four days a week, my condo smells of this stinky spice.

After making a delicious pot of chili last night, my place, and everything in it, reeked of cumin (and chili powder, of course).  Today I can still smell the stank of cumin.  It has embedded itself in my car, my clothes and even my purse.

I have a super-human sense of smell, so the rankness of cumin probably bothers me more than most.  But, I do love this stinky spice. So much so, that I will continue to walk around smelling like a bowl of chili for the next day or two.

Here is one of my favourite recipes using cumin.  I also love cilantro so this recipe has become a bi-weekly favourite. It's quick, easy and delicious!

Spicy Chickpeas with Beef and Cilantro:
Serves 3-4
Recipe is adapted from Mark Bittman's Quick and Easy Recipes from The New York Times

Ingredients:
  • 1/2 lbs of lean ground beef (I usually buy organic or beef that is free-from antibiotics)
  • 2 cans of chickpeas, drained and rinsed, saving the liquid
  • chicken broth (combine with the chickpea liquid to make 2 cups)
  • 2 tbs EVOO (Extra Virgin Olive Oil)
  • 1 1/2 tsp cumin
  • 1/2 tsp chipotle chili powder (or any other kind of chili powder you like)
  • 1 1/2 tsp minced garlic
  • S&P to taste
  • Splash of Worcestershire sauce
  • 1/2 cup finely chopped cilantro (or more if you love it as much as I do)
Directions:
Drain chickpeas, saving liquid. Add chicken broth to the liquid to make 2 cups and set aside. Heat 1 tbs (or less) EVOO in a large fry pan, add beef and a splash of Worcestershire and saute until beef is browned.  Add the chickpeas and saute together with the beef until the chickpeas are well browned and starting to pop (about 10 minutes or so). Add cumin, chili powder and garlic and cook for 1 minute. Add the chickpea liquid/broth, season with S&P.  Reduce heat and let simmer until most of the liquid has evaporated (approx. 10 minutes). Turn off heat, add cilantro and 1 tbs of EVOO. Taste and adjust seasoning accordingly.  I like to add a splash of habenero hot sauce to give it even more of a kick.  Serve hot and enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment