Tuesday, October 4, 2011

You Don't Make Friends With Salad

I have never understood the salad appeal.  It seems that everyone who is trying to lose weight or eat healthy believes that salad is the answer. Is it really though?

Currently, I know someone on the "flat belly diet".  While I think all fad diets are bullshit, I was curious about this one.  I looked up foods to avoid, and guess what was on the list: bulky raw veggies, peppers, onions, carrots, broccoli and cauliflower.  Seems to me that these are pretty important salad ingredients, yet if you want a flatter stomach, you should steer clear of these belly bloaters. Finally, a diet that isn't all about salads.

Personally, I am not a fan of salad. Yes, I know, it's a great way to get the recommended daily vegetable intake, but I find them boring and bland.  Anyone who has ever made a salad for me knows that I put a few pieces of lettuce on my plate and then load up on the salad fillers: tomatoes, avocados (a salad must), mushrooms, nuts, berries....pretty much all the things that make the salad actually taste good.  Yes, I am a selfish salad eater; I bogart all the good stuff.   Other than adding crunch, what purpose does lettuce serve anyway?

Of course I do eat salads, but it's only due to the fact that they are jam packed with nutrients and vitamins.  I make a salad to accompany most dinners, but I ensure they are bulky and have interesting ingredients.  Among my favourites: chicken, hearts of palm, cooked corn, peas, cashews, sauteed veggies, pomegranate seeds, hard boiled egg and cheese (obviously).

One of my favourite ways to add some excitement to an otherwise boring leafy green salad is to saute mushrooms and pour balsamic vinegar into the pan when the mushrooms are nearly finished.  This serves the purpose of adding warm ingredients to the salad (which makes it way more appealing for me) and it also acts as the salad dressing.

How do you make your salads exciting? Please share some recipes. Who knows, you might inspire me to become a salad lover.

No comments:

Post a Comment