Tuesday, October 11, 2011

Tryptophan Coma

Since Fall is my favourite season, it only seems fitting that the season's only(non-religious) holiday is one of my favourites as well.

As a kid, I never celebrated Thanksgiving.  I grew up in a kosher home so gravy was a foreign concept and using butter and cream in mashed potatoes was against the rules.  One year, in an attempt to satisfy my love of turkey day, my mom made a Thanksgiving-style dinner.  The turkey was good ( a little dry because when you are kosher you can't baste your turkey in butter), we had au jus instead of gravy and the mashed potatoes were made with margarine (I cringe).  My mom certainly didn't serve brussel sprouts with crispy bacon either.  All in all, I would deem my one childhood Thanksgiving dinner a complete failure (sorry mom, I know you tried).

In my adult life, much to my parent's dismay, I have abandoned kosher and taken up the annual ritual of  celebrating Thanksgiving- the proper way. Sometimes, if I am lucky, I get two Thanksgiving dinners but I am certainly happy with one.  This year's did not fall short of fantastic; seasonably warm weather, great friends, good wine (lots of it) and delicious food. By the time the tryptophan took effect I had already rolled my way home (with left over mashed potatoes in hand) and fell into a fast food coma.

Hope you all had a very happy Thanksgiving!

No comments:

Post a Comment