Monday, October 3, 2011

Sunday Soup: Roasted Tomato Arrabiata

In case the drop in temperature and changing leaves didn't tell you...It's Fall.  Fall is my very favourite season for many reasons.  I love the crisp air, the rich colours, sweater weather and most importantly fall foods! (I also LOVE Thanksgiving, but I'm sure I will address that in a later post.)

For me, fall is the begining of comfort food season.  This season typically lasts through till Spring and is usually the time when I pack on a few extra pounds...you know, to keep me warm.  This year, I am going to try to make healthy foods that are just as comforting.  I'm hoping my new cashmere sweater will keep me warm instead of those few extra pounds.

Fall harvest brings with it great fresh local produce that inspires yummy and warm dishes. Last year throughout the fall and winter I would make a soup or stew on Sunday nights to last throughout the week. I will keep this tradition this season as much as possible and share with you my various soup and stew recipes.

Last night I tried something new and didn't really follow a recipe.  I had never made a roasted tomato soup before and I think this one turned out quite well.  It's definitely got a kick to it, which is why I named it after my favourite pasta dish. I hope you like it!

Roasted Tomato Arrabiata Soup

Ingredients:
  • 3 lbs (approx) of vine tomatoes.  You could also use roma tomatoes.
  • 3 cloves of garlic
  • 1 small white onion diced
  • EVOO
  • salt and pepper
  • 1/4 tsp. thyme
  • 1/4-1/3 tsp crushed chili peppers
  • 4 cups chicken or vegetable broth (or more if needed)  
Directions:
Roast tomatoes and garlic in the oven at 400 degrees for about an hour.  I cut the tomatoes in half put them on a lined baking sheet cut side up and sprinkled them with salt, pepper and olive oil.  You can roast the garlic at the same time by putting the cloves in a foil pocket and placing them on the baking sheet along with the tomatoes. While the tomatoes are roasting, saute onion in one tbsp. of olive oil at the bottom of a large pot.  Once the tomatoes and garlic are ready, add them to the pot along with all the roasting juices.  Add the thyme and chili peppers and 1 cup of broth.  Use an immersion blender to blend everything together.  Add the remaining stock and simmer for about 20 minutes. Feel free to add extra seasoning to taste.  Serve with some fresh basil and enjoy!  

No comments:

Post a Comment