Monday, October 31, 2011

Sunday Soup: Mmmmushroom

This past week was a busy one.  And...some great news came out of it- I got a new job! It's a great opportunity and I will be working at a digital advertising agency here in Toronto working as an Account Coordinator for a major food company!  It really is the perfect fit.

So, last week was filled with sorting out the details of my new job, quitting my old job and planning the final details of my best friend's stagette which took place this past weekend. It was such a fun weekend and resulted in a major hangover...well worth it though.

When I got home from the stagette weekend yesterday all I wanted to do was curl up into a ball on the couch and go to sleep.  But, I knew that if I didn't go grocery shopping or cook some food I would end up eating out all week.  Since Saturday night I consumed pizza, chocolate, candy, chips, poutine, mac 'n cheese and grilled cheese (no, this is not a joke), I figured I best hit up the grocery store to avoid eating out this week and making unhealthy choices. If I skip the store on Sunday, my whole week is essentially a binge-worthy write off.

It took everything in me to get my act together to cook something last night. But I did it and it turned out delicious.  There is this mushroom soup that I love from a restaurant called Oliver and Bonacini . The soup has no cream and no butter and is absolutely delicious.  On the ride home from Niagara (where the stagette was), my friend told me about a great mushroom soup that she makes.  So, I decided that I would try to make one myself.  It's the first time I have tackled a mushroom soup and I must say, I did a really good job.

I followed no recipe, so please excuse my lack of accuracy when it comes to measuring out the ingredients.  I also didn't take a picture because the soup looks like grey sludge.  But, considering it is Halloween, I probably should have.  It would have been quite appropriate for this holiday.

Mmmmushroom Soup

Ingredients:
  • 1 bunch of leeks chopped
  • 1 onion chopped
  • 1 package of white mushroom chopped
  • 2 portobello mushrooms chopped
  •  1 package of chef's mix mushrooms (it's a package of a variety of mushrooms, so basically you can use any type you like)
  • 3 tbs olive oil
  • salt and pepper
  • about 6 cups of chicken or vegetable broth (I usually use chicken for all my soup recipes)
Directions:
Saute leeks at the bottom of a large pot until soft.  Add onion and continue to saute until the onions are translucent.  Add mushrooms and continue to saute until all the vegetables are soft.  Add salt and pepper to taste.  Add chicken broth and simmer for about 30 minutes.  Remove from heat and blend in a food processor or use an immersion blender.  Serve hot and enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment