Thursday, January 26, 2012

Being G-Free


I will caution you that this post is the result of a Dr. Oz show I saw last week.  So, for those of you that think Dr. Oz is full of shit, you do not have to read on.  

I’ve admitted before that I am a closet Dr. Oz fan.  I know he’s an alarmist but sometimes his show provides some useful information. It is not rare that when I do watch his show I project his diagnoses onto myself and automatically think something is seriously wrong with me.  It’s usually my fiancé who talks me off the ledge, but last week’s episode did not ignite the hypochondriac in me.  Rather, it opened up my eyes to the fact that I can potentially live my life migraine-free, bloat-free and without the major stomach issues I’ve been having over the past couple of years. 

I have been a migraine sufferer since I was 16.  On top of that, I have spent the last 2 years suffering from stomach issues, extreme bloating and lately, fatigue. I had done some reading on these symptoms as they have gotten pretty bad over the last month or so.  I’ve pretty much had a headache for a month straight, am extremely tired and have been walking around super bloated and with terrible stomach upset. All my readings suggested that I should probably give up gluten but I was in denial until I saw the same list of symptoms on Dr. Oz.  The solution: eat G-free.

So many people walk around feeling like complete crap as a result of consuming gluten.  Why? Gluten as well as many other grains are super hard to digest and are quite hard on our stomachs.
The thought of giving up grains altogether pains me.  There is nothing like a fresh croissant on a Sunday morning with a cup of delicious bold coffee and a crossword puzzle. Friday night won’t be the same without ooey-gooey pizza to accompany the movie I’ve been waiting to watch all week.  The Montreal-style bagels that I grew up eating will surely be missed.  But, I want to feel better and if that means giving up gluten, I will try it.

Goodbye breads, pasta and couscous…Hello G-free alternatives.  Ugh. Woe is me. 

I’ll let you know how the journey goes and I'll be posting some recipes for gluten free alternatives soon.  Next up…kale lasagna (because I ain’t giving up cheese!).

No comments:

Post a Comment