Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Say Cheese

I know, I know, I said I was going to lay off the cheese but how could I when I found the best hidden gem in all of Toronto.  The Grilled Cheese in Kensignton Market.  Can you say genius?

After venue shopping with both sets of parents in order to find the perfect place to have our wedding,  I decided I needed an indulgence. I had heard from various sources of a grilled cheese hut in Toronto's downtown Kensington Market.  Up until Saturday afternoon, I only dreamed of such a place. To think, a restaurant dedicated solely to the delicious ooey gooey sandwich that has been a staple in my life since birth??? Was this too good to be true???

We parked my car along one of Kensignton's narrow side streets.   Generally when I visit this area of the city I like to take my time to walk around, enjoy the oddities and smells of the market and stop in at all the little kiosks that align the streets.  This time was different.  Grilled cheese sandwiches were all I could think about.  I was on a mission.

There it was as if illuminated by a ray of glowing cheese.  I was standing in front of the allusive 'Grilled Cheese'.  As I approached the menu board I was elated and overwhelmed by my choices.  The Beast, Mushroom Madness, The Classic...too many choices...all very appealing.

My boyfriend ordered first: The Grilled Motzy- fresh mozzerlla, pesto, sun dried tomatoes and arugla.  Since I often get what I like to call "food envy" I decided it was best to order the same.  We took a seat at a picnic table outside and awaited the melted goodness that was to come.

The thick cut bread was toasted to perfection- nice and crispy! The cheese was perfectly melted and the arugula added a nice freshness to this otherwise fatty, greasy, glorious mess of a sandwich.  I usually prefer tomato soup with my grilled cheese sandwich, but seeing as it was 1000 degrees outside, the waffle chips and crunchy pickle placed beside the sandwich was the perfect accompaniment.

I'm pretty sure I finished the contents of my basket in less than 2 minutes.  It was everything I could have hoped for and more.  The perfect grilled cheese sandwich.

That indulgence should tie me over for the next week or so...

... or not.

1 comment:

  1. First of all he's not your boyfriend any more! He's your fiancée. Yes we get to call them a fancy word to go along with our fancy rings which I have still yet to see. Can't wait to try this place as you know I ♥ grilled cheese. I ♥ it so much I just wrote a blog post about the best EXTREME Grilled cheese I've ever had. Check it out http://tomatosnob.blogspot.com/2011/07/uncle-bettys-business-meeting-and.html

    ReplyDelete