Thursday, July 21, 2011

Barbequing Is Not Just For Boys

This past weekend (yes, I know it's Thursday but this Fat Girl in a Little Coat has had a pretty hectic week!) my friends and I found ourselves sans significant others and decided to have a fabulous and long overdue girls weekend.

There is nothing better than spending quality time with the ladies in your life.  In fact, it's necessary. Our girls weekend was spent eating (of course), laughing, sunning, reading gossip magazines and consuming plenty of sangria.  

We had talked about going out for a dinner to one of those really popular, overly expensive and raved about tapas places.  Instead, we decided to barbeque.  Barbequing is not a foreign concept to me, however, if left on my own to use one, I would likely blow up the neighbourhood.  Thus, I have always left grilling to the man in my life.

Side note: Last summer my friend and I tried to use a Hibachi to grill some vegetables.  It took us over an hour to get the damn thing lit and when we finally did we were covered in soot and ash. 

This weekend I concluded that girls can barbeque too. In fact, I think we do it better. We seasoned some veggies, seafood (which I obviously didn't consume) and meat and headed down to the cabana area of my friend's condo building for our grill fest (we also made an amazing summer salad- the recipe is at the end of the post). She barbequed everything perfectly and the meal was absolutely delicious. For the first time all weekend we were quiet- too busy enjoying our meals to say anything.

Later this week, I ventured into barbeque territory myself.  I didn't let my boyfriend (fiancé...still not used to it) man the grill (pun intended).  I flipped the turkey burgers and grilled the veggies and made an amazing barbeque dinner, mostly on my own.    I still left turning on and off the barbeque to my boyfriend but I watched as he did it. Next time, I may even light the grill myself without worrying about being arrested for arson.

Grilled Watermelon and Feta Salad:

Ingredients:
  • sliced watermelon
  • crumbled feta cheese
  • arugula
  • olive oil
  • balsamic vinegar or balsamic glaze (reduced vinegar)
  • fresh basil or fresh mint leaves 
Directions:
Cut Watermelon into big enough slices so that they won't fall through the barbeque grill.  Grill slices for 2 minutes on each side and place on top of arugula.  Drizzle with olive oil and vinegar and top with crumbled feta and basil or mint.  Yum!

No comments:

Post a Comment