Friday, September 2, 2011

Broken Buds


I know I've promised to post about my Boston trip but I've been having technical difficulties in trying to upload my pictures and I am now in the middle of a crisis that will take precedence in this week's blog post.  My taste buds are broken.  Yup, broken. This is my crisis and it's a pretty big problem considering how much I love food.

It all started about a week and a half ago.  I picked up some bug that I just could not shake and ended up with a pretty nasty cold/flu that has lasted up until now. All I have been eating for the past week or so is chicken soup, toast and popsicles- the holy trinity of feel-better-food.  That, in combination with lots of water, lots of tea and heavy doses of Advil cold and sinus, I was sure that I would be able to get back to my life, real food and exercise in no time.

Unfortunately, this is not the case. I have been hermitted in my house all week and have seen no one except my co-workers who won't come within 5 feet of me.  This, I can deal with.  I am feeling better and will finally see the light of day outside of my home and office and see some friends this evening. 

As for exercise, my workouts have been pretty non-existent for the past two weeks.  Last night I decided not to cancel on my trainer and went for my one hour work out session.  Bad idea.  I almost died. We kept the workout pretty light with some weight training and low cardio.  All was good until I had a cough attack, took a gulp of water for some relief, only to spit it out all over my trainer and all over the free weight section of the gym.  I then proceeded to choke and almost passed out.  Why is it that the time I actually choke is the only time I forget how to indicate that this is what is happening to me.  I learned the universal sign for choking when I was 10, yet somehow in the midst of being unable to breathe I couldn't figure out that I should put my hands around my neck and ask for help.  Anyway, I digress.  Obviously, I survived and I will get back on track with my exercise routine.  Again, this I can deal with.

What I cannot deal with is the fact that nothing tastes the same anymore. While I am starting to feel better, my taste buds are not. All I can palette is plainness. Last night I was feeling up to cooking and eating a real meal.  I made some homemade guacamole to go with my fajita dinner and sat down to eat.  I was so excited at the idea of tasting something with flavour.  One bite and I was completely turned off.  The culprit: cilantro. 

As I am sure I have mentioned before, I LOVE cilantro.  I cook with it at least twice a week and to me, any dish with cilantro in it is a good dish.  Unfortunately, I think it is fair to say that I loved cilantro.  Last night it tasted like metal and I ended up eating a bowl of cereal for dinner and tossing the long anticipated fajita dinner into the trash.  What if I never like cilantro again?!? I know, life has bigger problems, but my distaste for cilantro is not the only thing wrong with my taste buds.  Nothing with flavour taste good to me.  The thought of eating anything apart from bread and butter and plain spaghetti noodles is completely unappetizing at the moment. Unfortunately, this includes cheese.

My co-worker just asked me if I wanted to order a pizza for lunch.  I said no because I’m just not feeling cheese right now.  You know something isn’t right when the Fat Girl in a Little Coat says no to cheese.

No comments:

Post a Comment